Columbia College is able to provide a small research fund to students conducting approved research for their senior theses. Once approved you may receive, on a reimbursement basis, up to $500 towards the costs of undertaking your research. The process for requesting approval is as follows:
- Download the Columbia College Senior Thesis Funding Application Form.
- Complete Section 1 and submit to your faculty adviser.
- Assuming your research plan and anticipated expenses are approved, your application will be submitted to the Director of Undergraduate Studies. The average departmental/program award is no greater than $250 and may not exceed $500. Your initial requested amount may be adjusted and the Director of Undergraduate Studies will confirm how much funding you are approved to receive.
- The Director of Undergraduate Studies will then submit to the College all applications from students in the department or program at the same time.
- Approved applicants will receive a notification from the Office of Academic Planning and Administration with information regarding the award and the process for reimbursement.
- To receive reimbursements, you are required to submit in-person a completed reimbursement form with the original receipts for each expense, as well as bank or debit/credit card statements reflecting your expenses to Jessica Cubas in 202 Hamilton Hall.
- Please note that if you submit receipts more than 120 days after the expenses occurred, your reimbursement will be both delayed and taxed. It is important, therefore, to submit your reimbursement requests promptly. You may submit multiple requests.
- Checks will be mailed to your permanent address, as indicated on the application form or via direct deposit.
* Of special note:
- Regarding the submission of original receipts:
If any receipts are smaller than an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper, please tape them onto an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper, and label the receipts according to the expense number that you list on the reimbursement form.
- Regarding the purchases made with your debit card and/or credit card:
Please provide a copy of your bank statement and/or credit card statement, and label the charges according to the expense number that you list on the reimbursement form. You may black out all other information on the statements.
Questions may be directed to:
Senior Associate Dean of Academic Planning and Administration