Senior Thesis Funding

Columbia College is able to provide a small research fund to students conducting approved research for their senior theses. Once approved you may receive, on a reimbursement basis, up to $500 towards the costs of undertaking your research. The process for requesting approval is as follows:

  1. Download the Columbia College Senior Thesis Funding Application Form.
  2. Complete Section 1 and submit to your faculty adviser.
  3. Assuming your research plan and anticipated expenses are approved, your application will be submitted to the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Because the College requires that no student is approved to receive more than $500 and that the departmental/program average award is no greater than $250, your initial request may be adjusted and the Director of Undergraduate Studies will confirm how much funding you are approved to receive.
  4. The Director of Undergraduate Studies will then submit to the College all applications from students in the department or program at the same time.
  5. To receive actual reimbursements, you are required to submit in person the original receipts* for your expenses to Karen Heath, Executive Assistant , in 208 Hamilton Hall. With the receipts, you are required to submit a completed TBE Report Form.
  6. Please note that if you submit receipts more than 120 days after the expenses occurred, your reimbursement wil be both delayed and taxed. It is important, therefore, to submit your reimbursement requests promptly. You may submit multiple requests.
  7. Checks will be mailed to your permanent address, as indicated on the application form.

* Of special note:

  • Regarding the submission of original receipts:
    If any receipts are smaller than an 8.5” x 11” piece of paper, please tape them onto an 8.5” x 11” piece of paper, and label the receipts according to the expense number that you list on the TBE Report Form.
  • Regarding the purchases made with your debit card and/or credit card:
    Please provide a copy of your bank statement and/or credit card statement, and label the charges according to the expense number that you list on the TBER Reimbursement Form.  You may black out all other information on the statements.

Questions may be directed to:
Hazel May

Senior Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
Columbia College