Joseph M. Miller Sr., retired physician, Glen Arm, Md.,
on August 9, 2003. Miller was born and raised in Yonkers, N.Y. After
graduating from P&S in 1935, he completed his internship at
St. John’s Riverside Hospital in New York. Miller was a surgical
resident at the Mayo Clinic from 1936–40. During World War
II, he headed an Army field hospital unit in Okinawa and later Korea,
and at the time of his discharge in 1946 had attained the rank of
major. For 25 years, Miller was chief of surgery at Fort Howard
— from 1946 until the surgical program ended in 1971 —
and in 1963, he started one of the first intensive care units in
the area. In 1971, he became director of medical education at the
former Provident Hospital, later Liberty Medical Center, where he
established the physician’s assistant training program. Miller
was a teacher at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the Meharry
Medical College in Nashville. He retired in 1987. A prolific contributor
to medical journals — he wrote 562 articles — Miller
contributed frequently to The Sun, writing widely on medical
issues. He also was an avid collector of American stamps from the
1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Miller was married for 53 years to the former
Mary Alice Case, who died in 1993. He was an elder of Sparrows Point
Presbyterian Church and since 1969 had been a member of Havenwood
Presbyterian Church in Timonium, Md. Miller is survived by his sons,
Joseph M. Jr., K. Scott and John M.; daughter, Dorcas S.; and seven
Robert C. Shriver, retired banker, educator and
philanthropic fund raiser, Mechanicsburg, Pa., on April 3, 2003.
Shriver was born on September 20, 1911, in New York City. He began
at Lafayette before transferring to Columbia, where he was a member
of Phi Kappa Psi. A WWII veteran, Shriver served as a finance officer
with the Army in North Africa, Italy and southern France and received
his “Ruptured Duck” as a second lieutenant. He earned
the American Campaign, WWII Victory and Good Conduct medals as well
as the Europe-Africa-Middle East Campaign Medal with two bronze
battle stars and the Certificate of Thanks from the Republic of
France. Shriver retired in 1971 as senior v.p. and treasurer of
the United States Trust Co., New York City (now a subsidiary of
The Charles Schwab Corp.). He also worked with the Tucson Indian
Training School, the Institute of International Finance at NYU and
the Bank of Manhattan. Shriver served for many years as a member
of the board of directors of Union Theological Seminary and as a
member and chairman of the board of trustees of the First Presbyterian
Church. He was on the board of directors of the Presbyterian Progress
Foundation and chaired the Parents Fundraising Committee of the
Friends Seminary Building Fund. He also served as financial adviser
to the board of directors of the Hampton Institute in Virginia.
During his frequent travels there with its presidents, Shriver refused
to accede to segregationist accommodations policies and practices.
Subsequent to his retirement, Shriver moved to south central Pennsylvania,
where he taught finance at Elizabethtown College, Lebanon Valley
College and Penn State, Harrisburg. Shriver was a founding member
of the board of governors/board of directors of the Union Mills,
Md. (Shriver Family) Homestead Foundation and was board member emeritus.
He was a longtime member of the Maryland Historical Society as well
as the Shriver family genealogist, self-publishing in 1976 an updated
edition of the 1888 family history. Shriver was a member of the
Mechanicsburg Presbyterian Church, the Foreign Policy Association
of Harrisburg and the West Shore Men’s Garden Club. He is
survived by his wife of 66 years, Dallas Wing Laurier Shriver; and
Thomas R. Monahan, retired educator,
Southington, Conn., on July 2, 2003. Born on June
12, 1918, in Bristol, Monahan lived there most of
his life before moving to Southington. An Army veteran
of World-War II, Monahan received a master’s
degree from Teachers College in 1948 and his sixth-year
certificate from the University of Hartford. He
was a biology teacher and director of athletics
and physical education for the Bristol Board of
Education prior to his retirement in 1979. Monahan
was a charter member and former president of the
Connecticut High School Coaches Association and
National High School Athletic Coaches Association.
He was inducted into both associations’ halls
of fame as well as the Bristol Sports Hall of Fame.
Among his many honors was the Connecticut Sports
Writers’ Alliance Gold Key Award given to
him in 1984. He was an active member for many years
and past president of the Bristol Kiwanis Club and
served as a parks commissioner in Bristol. Monahan
is survived by his wife, Rose (Fegan) Monahan; five
daughters and four sons-in-law, Maureen and J. Lawrence
Mills, Christine and Kenneth Williamson, Sheila
and Frank Moffett, Geraldine Monahan, and Theresa
and Richard Hammond; brother, Edward; eight grandchildren;
a great-grandchild; and several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by two brothers, Paul and John;
and two sisters, Elizabeth Hart and Jane Barry.
Sidney J. Silberman, retired attorney and philanthropist,
White Plains, N.Y., on August 29, 2003. Born in Des Moines, Iowa,
Silberman served in the Navy during World War II aboard the battleship
Nevada. He earned a degree from the Law School in 1947
and worked at Proskauer Rose Goetz & Mendelsohn from 1947–52.
From 1952 until his retirement in 1992, Silberman was a partner
in Kaye Scholer LLP, previously known as Kaye, Scholer, Fierman,
Hays & Handler. He was the firm’s CEO from 1977–80.
Silberman was chairman of the lawyers’ division of the UJA-Federation
of New York in 1979–80 and president of the Associated Y.M.-Y.W.H.A.s
of Greater New York from 1970–73.
Alfred T. Felsberg, retired executive, Naples,
Fla., on April 17, 2003. Felsberg attended Bard College, then graduated
from the College and attended the Law School. He served with the
3rd, 5th and 7th Fleets in the South Pacific from 1943–46
and reached the rank of lieutenant S.G. From 1947–84, he worked
in every branch of what then was called the “Bell System.”
He started his career with New Jersey Bell in 1947 as a traffic
manager and ended it heading and opening the AT&T exhibit at
Walt Disney World’s EPCOT center in Florida, retiring in 1984.
Felsberg was a member of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and held
multiple subscription series of the Naples Philharmonic Center of
the Arts. He was a former member of the Mendham Golf and Tennis
Club, Mendham, N.J.; Rotary Club of Summit, N.J.; Columbia/Princeton
Club; and Naples Men’s Club. He was a past chairman of the
Collier County historic and Archaeological Preservation Board. He
also served as a small claims mediator of the 20th Judicial Circuit
in Collier County and was a Radio Reading Service reader on WGCU-FM
and WMKO-FM. Felsberg had been a resident of Naples and Bonita Springs
since 1983, coming from Mendham, N.J. He and his wife, Isobelle,
who died on February 3, 2003, were the first homeowners in Lely
Barefoot Beach before moving to the Marbella in Naples. Felsberg
is survived by his brother and sister-in-law, Robert I. and Beverly
Felsberg; sister-in-law, Patricia Stahl; nephew, Robert W. Felsberg;
and niece, Nancy Baker.
Louis R. Marmora, retired educator, Mamaroneck,
N.Y., on August 21, 2002. Marmora was born on March 28, 1922, in
Gioi Cilento, Italy. The youngest of nine, he emigrated with his
family at 6, settling in Jersey City, N.J. He moved to Mamaroneck
in 1958. Marmora earned a master’s from the University and
also attended Middlebury College and the Universidad de Madrid.
He volunteered for the Armed Forces during World War II, serving
four years, including two in the China-India-Burma theater. Marmora
began his teaching career at Benjamin Franklin H.S. in Manhattan.
He later taught at Columbia Grammar School; Jersey City Junior College;
SUNY Purchase; and Marymount College in Tarrytown, N.Y. As a faculty
member of Mamaroneck H.S. for 36 years, he taught Spanish, Italian,
French and Latin. Marmora was a popular teacher in the adult education
program of the Mamaroneck School System for many years, including
after his official retirement in 1992. He was active in the Mamaroneck
Teacher’s Association throughout his tenure. Marmora is survived
by his wife, Victoria; sons, Paul and Stephen; daughters, Veronica
and Christina; four grandchildren; brothers, Joseph and Frank; and
sister, Mary Capetola. Another son, Mark, died in 1995.
Vincent J. Freda, physician, Alpine N.J., on May
7, 2003. Freda was born in New Haven and earned his medical degree
from NYU’s School of Medicine. He spent his entire career
at what is now Columbia-Presbyterian. Freda was a member of the
Columbia community for more than five decades, first as a student
and then as a respected member of the teaching faculty from the
1960s to the 1990s. He was named clinical professor emeritus of
obstetrics and gynecology and honored with a fellowship in his name
for perinatalogy research in 2000. A former Air Force flight surgeon
who turned to obstetrics, Freda was one of the first doctors in
the country to perform amniocentesis and was at the forefront of
fetal surgery. He also helped to develop a vaccine to prevent a
disease that killed thousands of babies each year. The vaccine,
now known as Rhogam, allows women who have Rh-negative blood to
deliver healthy babies. In 1963, in a Columbia laboratory, Freda
and Dr. John G. Gorman discovered that if an Rh-negative woman was
given an injection of the substance that causes Rh disease, her
body would not attack the fetus’s blood cells. The findings
were especially important to women who had already given birth because
Rh problems are often minimal with the first baby but worsen with
subsequent ones as the mother develops higher levels of the dangerous
antibodies earlier in pregnancy. Freda shared the 1980 Lasker Award
for medical research with Gorman and three others who had roles
in identifying and treating the Rh factor. Pregnant mothers now
routinely get an Rh blood test as part of their prenatal care. Freda
established a pioneering clinic for Rh-negative mothers in the United
States and became a leader in fetal medicine. His first operation
on a fetus, at 27 weeks, involved a blood transfusion needed because
of Rh incompatibility. A research fellowship and a symposium have
been created in his honor at P&S. Freda is survived by his wife,
Carol Ury; daughter, Pamela; sons, Andrew and Bradley; and three
grandchildren. Donations may be sent to the Vincent Freda Fellowship
Fund in Perinatalogy at the Sloane Hospital for Women, c/o Chairman,
Department of Ob/Gyn, 622 W. 168th St., 16th Fl., New York, NY 10032.
Edwin S. Wiley, Winter Park, Fla., on June 24,
2003. Wiley was born on November 5, 1924, in Paterson, N.J. An Army
Air Corps World War II veteran, he received the distinguished Flying
Cross and the Air Medal with Oak Clusters. Wiley served as president
of International Veiling Corp. in Clifton, N.J., and as scoutmaster
with Boy Scout Troop #160 in Wyckoff, N.J. He served on the Wyckoff
Planning Board for eight years and was a member of Grace United
Methodist Church in Wyckoff and First United Methodist Church in
Winter Park, Fla. Wiley is survived by his wife, Nancy Orup; sons,
Edwin and his wife, Sally, and David and his wife, Debbie; six grandchildren
and sister, Ruth Wiley Post.
Edward A. Bantel, retired educator, Northport,
Mich., on June 22, 2003. Bantel was born on June 30, 1927 in Queens.
He was a World War II Army veteran. Bantel taught philosophy and
psychology and became a full professor at 33. He was involved in
Head Start in the 1960s and founded the DEPTH program in Northport.
Bantel served on the President’s Task Force for Education
under President Nixon and taught at Columbia, Wayne State University
and eventually Oakland University, retiring from that position as
professor emeritus. A licensed psychologist, Bantel was proud that
he was named a Kentucky Colonel. Survivors include his wife, Claudia
Ann Steward, whom he married in 1983; his children and grandchildren,
Emily Bantel and Andrew Bantel; Edward A. Bantel and his son; Karen
(Steve Geiringer) Bantel and their three children; Ellen (Thane)
Ostroth and their three children; John (Allison) Bantel and their
two children; and brother, Anton. Memorial contributions may be
directed to the Columbia College Fund.
William C. Kuhns, Montecito, Calif., on July 16,
2003. Born in New York on November 18, 1928, Kuhns excelled at I.awrence-
ville (N.J.) prior to graduating from the College, where he was
a member of St. A’s. He earned a master’s from SIPA
in 1953. Kuhns’ business career began as first v.p. of Chase
Manhattan Bank in San Juan. He then worked in commercial finance
at Foothill Capital in Los Angeles and later formed his own company,
WCK Capital. Kuhns’ final position was chairman of the board
of Preferred Business Credit in Pasadena, which he established in
1999 with two partners. Kuhns was an avid gardener, photographer
and tennis participant at the Santa Barbara Polo & Racquet Club,
as well as an enthusiastic devotee of music, literature, history,
world travel, crossword puzzles and his adored Corgi, Foxy. His
astute comments on life and the world situation were published in
the Op/Ed section of the Santa Barbara News-Press, Montecito
Journal and Santa Barbara Independent. He is survived
by his wife, Doris Murray Kuhns; sister, Mary Fancher; son by an
earlier marriage, William; five children from his marriage to Alice
Fenton Kuhns: Rodney, Anthony, Matthew, Victoria Kuhns Vickers and
Diana Kuhns Knox; eight grandchildren; and three stepchildren, Natalia
Murray Casemore, Julia Murray Portugal and William Murray Jr. Memorial
contributions may be made to Hospice Care of Santa Barbara, 222
East Canon Perdido, Santa Barbara, CA 93101.
Richard A. Gardner, psychiatrist and psychoanalyst,
Tenafly, N.J., on May 25, 2003. Gardner was born in the Bronx on
April 28, 1931. A graduate of SUNY’s Downstate Medical Center,
he served in the Army Medical Corps as the director of child psychiatry
at an Army hospital in Germany. Gardner developed a theory about
parental alienation syndrome, which he said could lead children
in high-conflict custody cases to falsely accuse a parent of abuse.
Gardner, who testified in more than 400 child custody cases, maintained
that children who suffered from parental alienation syndrome had
been indoctrinated by a vindictive parent and obsessively denigrated
the other parent without cause. In severe cases, he recommended
that courts remove children from the homes of the alienating parents
and place them in the custody of the parents accused of abuse. His
theory provoked vehement opposition from some mental health professionals,
child abuse experts and lawyers. Gardner, a professor of child psychiatry
at P&S from 1963 until his death, wrote extensively about divorce.
His The Boys and Girls Book About Divorce (Bantam Books
for Young Readers; reissue, 1985), published in 1970 when divorce
was becoming much more common in America and now in its 28th printing,
offers children advice on coping with its stresses and tips on handling
their parents. In 1973, Gardner created one of the first therapeutic
board games, “The Talking, Feeling and Doing Game,”
for use in child psychotherapy. In the 1980s, he became increasingly
interested in cases of false accusation of sexual abuse, which he
considered a product of a deepening national hysteria. He wrote
The Parental Alienation Syndrome and the Differentiation Between
Fabricated and Genuine Child Sex Abuse in 1987 and Sex-Abuse
Hysteria: Salem Witch Trials Revisited in 1991, each self-published.
Gardner’s marriage to Lee Gardner ended in divorce. He is
survived by his son, Andrew; daughters, Nancy Gardner Rubin and
Julie Gardner Mandelcorn; mother, Amelia; eight grandchildren; and
partner, Natalie Weiss.
Roger Sacks, dentist, Forest Hills, N.Y., on January
14, 2003. Sacks graduated from Stuyvesant High School in 1954 and
earned a degree from SDOS in 1962. A published cartoonist, Sacks
was remembered in a New York Times death notice as “a
man of honor, great courage and dignity.” He is survived by
his wife, Arlene; son, Philip; and nephew, Ethan (Masako) Sacks.
He was predeceased by his brother, Elliott; and their parents, Philip
Stanley Aber, real estate developer, New York
City, on January 26, 2003. Aber earned a degree from the Business
School in 1960 and had his own real estate development firm in New
York. While at the College, he was a four-year member of the track
John J. Alexander, professor, Cincinnati, on November
15, 2002. Alexander was born on April 13, 1940, in Indianapolis.
At the College, he was active in Sigma Nu, Blue Key Society and
the Debate Team. He graduated summa cum laude with a degree
in chemistry. Alexander began his graduate studies at GSAS in Fall
1962, obtaining M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in 1963 and 1967, respectively.
In 1969, after two years of postdoctoral study at Ohio State, Alexander
accepted a faculty position at the University of Cincinnati. During
his 33-year tenure there, he taught chemistry to some 25,000 undergraduates,
supervised the thesis work of more than a dozen graduate students
and served as chair of the freshman and inorganic chemistry divisions.
In addition to writing more than 40 technical papers in his chosen
field, organometallic chemistry, Alexander co-authored an internationally
known textbook, Concepts and Models of Inorganic Chemistry.
The work passed through several editions and was translated into
Spanish and Japanese. The recipient of several teaching and merit
awards, Alexander served as chair of the Cincinnati Section of the
American Chemical Society in the early ’80s. He remained active
until shortly before his death. Alexander is survived by his mother
and a younger sister. Friends may contribute to The John J. Alexander
Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship at the University of Cincinnati.
Paul Bernbach, philanthropist and real estate
investor, Brooklyn, N.Y., on June 14, 2003. A lifelong resident
of Brooklyn, he graduated from Brooklyn Friends School, earned a
law degree from Penn and practiced with the Manhattan-based firm
of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett in the 1970s. Bernbach was assistant
to the office of the president of Joseph E. Seagram & Sons from
1979–81. His father, William Bernbach, who died in 1982, was
one of the founders of the advertising agency Doyle Dane Bernbach.
Late in 1982, Bernbach was elected a director of what was then called
Doyle Dane Bernbach International. He resigned from its board in
1984. Bernbach was a private real estate investor for the rest of
his life and was a partner in Bernbach & Plotkin, a private
investment company specializing in real estate. A supporter of the
Brooklyn Museum of Art, Bernbach was on its board of trustees from
1985 until his death. He also was on the boards of St. Ann’s
School and of Packer Collegiate Institute, both in Brooklyn. Bernbach
is survived by his wife, Therese; daughters, Elizabeth and Sarah;
son, Matthew; and brother, John.
Henry N. Winters, business executive, Franklin,
Mich., on August 8, 2003. Winters attended St. Bernard’s School
and Phillips Exeter Academy, was a magna cum laude graduate of the
College and Phi Beta Kappa, and held a philosophy degree from New
College, Oxford. Winters earned his J.D. at Harvard, followed by
an L.L.M. from NYU. In New York, he was associated with Cahill,
Gordon & Reindel, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft, and Shearman
& Sterling. In 1996, he joined the office of tax counsel at
Ford Motor Co. in Dearborn, Mich., serving most recently as a director.
He is survived by his wife, Liz Foster; daughter, Katie; son, Daniel;
brother, George; sister, Charlotte; and father, Robert. Contributions
may be made to City Harvest.
Other Deaths Reported
Columbia College Today has learned of the deaths of the
following alumni (full obituaries will be published if information
1937 Anton H. Doblmaier, Summit, N.J., on March 16, 2003. He is survived by his wife, Vivian; daughter, Jane; sons, Anton and Thomas; and four grandchildren.
1961 Stephen A. Shaivitz, physician, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., on April 22, 2003.
1972 Mark D. Stern, physician, Brinklow, Md., on September 5, 2003.