The Rainbow Scholarship will be awarded to a deserving LGBTQI student who aims to participate in a high-quality, rigorous education abroad program. This scholarship is made possible by the generous support of a group of international education professionals who are committed to advocating on behalf of LGBTQI students. These professionals counsel international and study abroad LGBTQI students, support their LGBTQI colleagues in the field, and collaborate through groups created with the support of NAFSA and the Forum for Education Abroad.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. (as of May 2015, we welcome applications from DACA students)
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in the U.S. (graduate students are not eligible)
- Study abroad program must be eligible for credit at the student’s educational institution
- Study abroad program must include at least 4 weeks (30 days) in country/countries
FEA strongly encourages those to apply who plan to partake in a program with any/all of the following:
- Academically rigorous and immersive study abroad program
- Study of the host country language (if not English)
- Non-traditional destination
- Student demonstrates financial need
- Students who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad. Those groups include, but are not limited to: Minority students, First-generation college students, Students with disabilities, Student Athletes, Veterans, Returning learners.
To apply: Applicants for the Rainbow Scholarships self-identify for consideration through their application forms, available here. Awardees may receive up to $10,000 (Academic Year); $5,000 (fall/spring semester); prorated by no. of weeks, minimum $1,250 (summer).