[Corrections: In the May issue, the obituary for Lloyd
M. Moglen ’60 contained several errors: his date of
death was August 2, 2002; he was born in 1938; and his radio talk
show was on KQED. CCT apologizes for these mistakes.]
Edward L. Hoffman, retired, Stratford, Conn., on March 1,
2003. Born on February 7, 1907, Hoffman was raised in New York City
and graduated from DeWitt Clinton H.S. He entered Columbia at 15
and, after receiving a B.A. from the College, earned a B.S. in 1927
and a chemical engineering degree in 1928, both from the Engineering
School. Hoffman joined Mobil Oil in New York and worked there for
more than 40 years. During a considerable part of that time, he
was manager of Mobil’s product loss control department. Hoffman
also participated in the work of the American Petroleum Institute
and served as chairman of a number of API committees. After his
retirement from Mobil, he worked as a consultant for API and several
corporations, including Mobil. He and his wife of 64 years, Eve,
were longtime residents of Port Washington on Long Island and were
enthusiastic sailors locally and regionally. Hoffman raced his sailboat
in numerous distance races across the years, crewed as navigator
on several Bermuda races and taught navigation at the U.S. Power
Squadron. He and his wife also traveled extensively. Hoffman was
secretary-treasurer of the Engineering Class of ’28 during
the 1930s and retained friendships with a number of classmates and
a strong sense of loyalty to Columbia throughout his life. His wife
died in 1998, and he also was predeceased by two brothers, Robert
’31, ’34 SDOS and Alfred ’35, ’37E. Hoffman
is survived by his son, Edward L. Jr., daughter-in-law, Caroline;
and three grandchildren.
George Sarrafian, retired, Dallas, on June 11, 2001. Sarrafian
was born in Beirut in 1907 into a prominent and influential Armenian
family that had recently emigrated from Turkey to Lebanon. His father
established the Sarrafian Stores in Beirut, specializing in photographic
equipment and other precision instruments. Sarrafian pursued post-graduate
studies in archaeology in a Ph.D. program at GSAS, receiving a certification
in 1931. While at Columbia, he met Katharine Harrison, who also
was pursuing post-graduate studies, and they married in 1931. They
moved to Beirut, where Sarrafian became involved with the family
business. There, they had two sons, George Philip and Allison Harrison.
Upon their return to the United States in 1939, the family settled
in Waco, Texas, and moved to Dallas in 1942. Sarrafian joined Remington
Rand in Dallas, where he was a successful sales executive until
his retirement in 1972. Year after year, he received Remington Rand’s
Century Club award for outstanding salesmanship. He was active in
various civic and cultural organizations, including the Dallas Council
on World Affairs. In 1960, he was named the outstanding naturalized
citizen of Dallas. Sarrafian was a member of Highland Park Presbyterian
Church from 1942 until his death. He is survived by his son, Harrison.
Louis R. Slattery, physician, New York City, on March 19,
2001. Slattery was born on October 16, 1908, and graduated from
Flushing H.S. in 1925. He was a 1933 graduate of P&S. A World
War II veteran of campaigns in the South Pacific, Slattery met and
married his wife of 53 years, Lela Hendry, who died in 1997, while
there. Slattery was a professor of clinical surgery at the NYU School
of Medicine, with which he was affiliated for 60 years, including
43 years of surgical practice and a second career as surgical coordinator.
His first retirement from the hospital was in 1982, when he left
the faculty. He retired from his coordinator position in 1999. Slattery’s
only time away from NYU was a four-year stint at the Seventh Evacuation
Hospital in the South Pacific. Slattery was trained as a general
surgeon but developed a subspecialty in abdominal surgery along
with a strong interest in research. Slattery’s son, John H.
’68, noted in a letter to CCT: “My father was a devoted
alumnus of the College, and he regarded John Erskine’s Core
Curriculum, which had become CC, Art Hum and Lit Hum long before
I arrived at the College, as the great and lasting reward of a Columbia
College education — a view that I and many others share.”
Slattery also is survived by his daughters, Elizabeth and Andrea.
Jacob Broudy, writer and editor, Royal Palm Beach, Fla.,
on March 14, 2003. Born in 1908 in Filipova, Poland, Broudy was
brought to the United States as a young child by his parents. He
attended public school in Milford, Mass. Broudy served with the
Army Air Corps in North Africa, Corsica and Italy during World War
II. In the 1950s, he served as president of the Boston local of
the American Newspaper Guild, the union of reporters, writers and
editors. Broudy had a long career as a newspaper writer and editor
in Massachusetts before becoming a news officer and communications
representative for various government agencies in Washington, D.C.,
in the 1960s and 1970s. Prior to serving as the communications representative
for the assistant secretary for health and scientific affairs for
the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Broudy was the
director of the news division for the United States Office of Education
and a public affairs officer at the radiological health division
of the Public Health Service. Broudy worked at the International
News Service and for newspapers in Milford, Worcester and Lynn,
Mass., as a sports editor and as a news writer. Later, he was a
news writer, reporter, feature writer and sports columnist for the
Boston Herald-Traveler for more than 20 years. Broudy also
served for 13 years as relief manager for the Boston bureau of The
New York Times, a position that included
writing news stories for the Times on weekends. His wife,
Elizabeth Burke Broudy, died in 2000. He is survived by a son, William
K. ’68; daughters, Ellen P. Broudy and Susan A. Grohmann;
five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Paul S. Friedman, physician, Philadelphia, on April 29,
2002. Born on August 5, 1914, Friedman earned his medical degree
at NYU. A longtime Jewish communal leader and a Republican, Friedman
retired last year after a lengthy career in radiology. During World
War II, he was a radiologist for the Army. Friedman was a past president
of the Philadelphia Chapter of American Jewish Committee and held
numerous posts with the group locally. He was a member of the American
Jewish Committee’s national executive committee, president
of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Zionist Organization of America
and chairman of the Hospital Doctor’s Division of the forerunner
of the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia. Friedman served
on the boards of the Jewish Community Relations Council and Dropsie
College. He was a clinical professor of radiology at Hahnemann Medical
College and Hospital, and across the years served on the staffs
of half a dozen area hospitals as well as taught radiology at Penn’s
graduate school. He was president, treasurer and board member of
the Philadelphia County Medical Society, chairman of the Pennsylvania
Medical Society and an official of a number of local and national
professional organizations. Active in civic and cultural groups,
Friedman served as president of the Cheltenham Adult School and
president of the Home and School Association of Cheltenham H.S.
He was on the advisory council of Empower America as well as the
Physician’s Council of the Heritage Foundation and was named
to the Cheltenham Township Planning Commission. In 1984, Friedman
was appointed a “goodwill ambassador” for the City of
Philadelphia. Among his many honors was an Outstanding Civilian
Service Medal awarded to him in 1970 on the recommendation of the
Secretary of the Army for his consultation with the U.S. surgeon
general. He published some four dozen professional papers and articles
on various aspects of health care, public policy and radiology.
Friedman is survived by his wife, the former Elise Kohn; daughter,
Ellen; sons, Steven L. and Peter B.; sister, Miriam; and six grandchildren.
Albert I. Edelman, attorney, Bronxville and East Hampton,
N.Y., on January 9, 2003. Born in New Haven, Conn., Edelman graduated
from the Law School in 1938. After serving as a lieutenant commander
in the Navy in World War II, Edelman joined the military government
of the American zone of occupied Berlin, led by John J. McCloy.
He was named chief of its industrial investigations branch, which
looked into the wartime conduct of leading German companies. Edelman
was a judge on the International Court in Germany. After that, he
became a trustee and general secretary of the Benjamin Franklin
Foundation, which was formed to assist in the reconstruction of
Germany, and worked with Willy Brandt, then the mayor of West Berlin.
Back in New York, Edelman joined Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy.
In 1958, he became a founding partner, with Jacob K. Javits, of
Javits Trubin Sillcock & Edelman. In its heyday, the firm had
60 lawyers and was best known for its work in banking and real estate
finance matters. In Edelman’s specialty, international law,
he acted as counsel in business ventures and mergers between companies
in Europe, South America, Southeast Asia and the United States.
When Javits Trubin disbanded in 1984, Edelman joined Javits, no
longer a senator, as a partner in the firm of Parker Chapin Flattau
& Klimpl. He became associated with Mayer Brown after Javits’s
death in 1986 and opened the firm’s offices in Berlin, Frankfurt
and Cologne. Most recently, Edelman was senior counsel to the firm
of Mayer Brown Rowe & Maw. He is survived by his wife of 53
years, the former Eleanor Weisman; daughters, Gwen, Cornelia, and
Jennifer Lemler; son, Thomas; brother, Daniel J.; and two granddaughters.
Joseph H. Greenberg, linguist, Stanford, Calif., on May
7, 2001. Greenberg was born on May 28, 1915, in Brooklyn and graduated
Phi Beta Kappa from the College. He received a Ph.D. in anthropology
in 1939 from Northwestern. From 1940–45, Greenberg served
in the Army in North Africa and Italy. Following the war, he taught
for a year at the University of Minnesota before returning to Columbia,
where he taught from 1948–62. In 1962, Greenberg moved to
Stanford, where he remained for the rest of his life. There, he
helped to found the linguistics department and the African Studies
Center. Greenberg became internationally known in the early 1950s
for a classification of African languages that today is the basis
for all African historical linguistics. Rather than continuing his
work on African languages, he left the field to others and for the
remainder of his life worked in other areas. In 1963, Greenberg
published a paper on the order of meaningful elements in language
that founded the subfield of linguistic typology. He continued his
work on linguistic classification in other areas of the world, producing
a classification of New Guinea languages in 1971, a classification
of Native American languages in 1987 and a two-volume classification
of Eurasian languages in 2000–02. He is widely regarded as
one of the greatest linguists of the 20th century, and he received
almost every honor available to a linguist, including being the
first linguist elected to the National Academy of Sciences. Greenberg
was a member of the American Philosophical Society and president
of the Linguistic Society of America, the African Studies Association,
and the West African Linguistic Association. In the 1960s, he received
the Haile Selassie Award for African research and, shortly before
his death, was awarded the Talcott Parsons Prize in the Social Sciences.
Greenberg is survived by his wife, Selma, to whom he was married
for 60 years.
Harry S. Howard Jr., retired, Skaneateles, N.Y., on May
13, 2002. Howard was born in Amsterdam, N.Y., on February 28, 1917,
and graduated from Wilbur Lynch H.S. He was a production manager
for Alco Technologies in Auburn and retired in 1980. Howard served
two terms as vice president of Schalmont Central School Board in
Rotterdam and was active in Toastmasters International. CCT
received this note from his daughter, Ann: “My father was
very proud to be a College grad — he often spoke of his Columbia
College years as among the best of his life.” Howard was predeceased
by his wife, Joan Bergen Howard. He is survived by his daughters,
Joan M. and Muriel (Ann); sons, Harry S. III and John; and four
Judson E. Pratt, retired, Charlotte, N.C, on February 3,
2003. Born in Detroit, Pratt was raised in Plantsville, Conn., and
was a World War II veteran. While at the College, he was a member
of Phi Gamma Delta. Pratt earned a master’s from the Journalism
School in 1940. Prior to moving to Charlotte last July, he lived
in Hendersonville, N.C., for 20 years following his retirement from
the University of Hartford, where he served as publications editor
and manager. He is survived by his wife, Patricia; daughters, Cynthia
May and Judith Anne; son-in-law, G. (Tom) Heinly; and sister-in-law,
Barbara M. Pratt. He was predeceased by a younger brother, James.
Memorials may be made to a charity of the donor’s choice or
to the Southminster Foundation, 8919 Park Rd., Charlotte, NC 28210.
George O. Rudkin Jr., chemist, Chadds Ford, Pa., on February
10, 2003. Rudkin was born in New York City and received a Ph.D.
in chemistry from the University in 1946. He became associate director
of the product development department for ICI United States in Wilmington,
Del. His wife of 58 years, Helene ’45 Barnard, said in a note
to CCT: “[George] was always most appreciative of his
Columbia University education and training under Professor Nelson
of the chemistry department.” In addition to his wife, Rudkin
is survived by his daughters, Mary Ellen, Christine Louise, Noreen
Anne and Amy Josephine; son, George Henry; 10 grandchildren; great-granddaughter;
and brother, Robert. Donations may be made to a charity of the donor’s
Philip G. Strauss M.D., retired, Oakland, Calif., on May
20, 2002. Born in Brooklyn in 1926, Strauss attended Townsend Harris
H.S. in Manhattan. His years at Columbia were interrupted by Naval
service in World War II. Strauss received his medical degree from
SUNY Downstate Medical College (now the SUNY Health Sciences Center
at Brooklyn). He interned at Cincinnati General Hospital and did
his residency at the University of Colorado Medical Center in Denver
followed by cardiology fellowships at Stanford and UC San Francisco.
After a one-year sojourn into hyperenvironmental and space medicine
with a private research company in Los Angeles, Strauss returned
to the Bay Area. He practiced internal medicine and cardiology in
San Leandro, Calif., from 1961 until his retirement in 1992 and
then consulted in internal medicine at Garfield NeuroBehavioral
Center in Oakland until 2001. In the late 1960s, he collaborated
with other doctors to establish the first coronary care units in
the East Bay Area at Doctors Hospital and Memorial Hospital in San
Leandro. Strauss is survived by his wife of 42 years, Mary B.; three
children, including Carolyn F. Strauss ’92; and two grandchildren.
Franklin R. Ross, retired executive, Amherst, Va., on October
13, 2002. Ross was born on June 30, 1922, in New Kensington, Pa.
He served in the Army and was awarded the Blue Star for Scholastic
Excellence; he was part of the Army Specialized Training Program.
While at the College, Ross was a member of Nacoms, secretary of
the Van Am Society and the Dorm Council, chairman of the Social
Affairs Committee and the Senior Formal Committee and a member of
the Class Day committee. He was an advertising manager in the industrial
systems division of Minneapolis Honeywell Regulator Co., a copywriter
for Robertshaw Controls and a technical writer for IRC, Philadelphis.
Ross lived for many years in Palmyra, N.J. He was married to Amy
Kerr Ross, who died in 1971. He is survived by twin sisters, Martha
Ross Stimpson and Zoe Irene Ross; a niece and nephew; and a grand-niece
Alvin Rush, television industry executive, Beverly Hills,
Calif., on January 14, 2003. Rush was a 1952 graduate of the Law
School. A leading executive in the television industry for more
than 45 years, he had a long career with MCA, ultimately rising
to chairman of MCA Television Group from 1986–91. Earlier,
he held executive v.p. positions at NBC and NBC Sports. Most recently,
Rush served as executive of special projects for Paramount Television
Group. Rush attended the College on a football scholarship. He also
worked his way through college with a variety of jobs, including
food services in John Jay cafeteria and the Lions’ Den. Rush
often recalled the camaraderie that he enjoyed with his fellow workers,
especially how “the guys would take care of each other”
by making sure that a buddy always got a “generous”
serving of food. Rush married Betty (or Bobbi, as she was known
to many friends) while attending the Law School, and they maintained
friendships with many in the Columbia community throughout their
45-year marriage. William Kahn ’47, ’49L delivered a
eulogy at Rush’s funeral service, recalling a life-long friendship
that began at Columbia. Rush always maintained an appreciation of
the scholarship and other help that he received from the College
and the basis this provided for his professional accomplishments.
He regularly supported the College and Law School. In 1997, the
Universal Classroom in Jerome L. Greene Hall at the Law School was
dedicated with the following plaque: “Renovation supported
by the MCA Universal Foundation and five loyal graduates of Columbia
Law School,” one of whom is listed as “Al Rush, 1952.”
Rush will be remembered for his leadership, communications expertise
and strong personal ethics. He was predeceased by his wife in 1995.
He is survived by his sons, Bruce ’73, Robert ’76, ’80L
and Jeffrey; seven grandchildren; and sister, Rita Grobisen.
Alan Obre, writer, West Cornwall, Conn., on March 21, 2003.
Obre was born in Brooklyn on June 7, 1924. He served in the Army
from 1943–46 in the Pacific Theater and married Dorothy Suzano
’50 Barnard in 1950. Obre’s writing career included
stints with the Long Island Star Journal, the National Association
of Manufacturers and The New York Telephone Co. The Obres went to
West Cornwall on weekends starting in 1963 and moved there permanently
in 1979. Obre is survived by his wife.
Charles L. Witte, physician, Tucson, Ariz., on March 7,
2003. Born on May 27, 1935, in New York City, Witte was a professor
and founding member of the University of Arizona Department of Surgery
since 1969 and was world-renowned for his expertise in disorders
of the liver, intestine and lymphatic system. He specialized in
abdominal and trauma surgery, focusing special attention on the
education of resident surgeons and medical students. Witte was a
member of many professional societies — the International
Society of Lymphology was his favorite — and a recipient of
numerous awards and prizes including induction into the National
Academy of Medicine of Brazil. He authored many influential publications,
as well. His lifelong passion was baseball — he played in
the Tucson Adult Men’s League with the Cincinnati Reds and
Doc’s Desperados until last year. Witte taught himself to
a near-master level in chess and bridge, enjoyed singing baritone
along with the great operatic tenors and traveled throughout the
world. He is survived by his wife, Marlys Hearst Witte M.D.; daughters,
Pamela Swartzel and Andrea Finch; son, Dr. Russell; brother, Robert;
brother-in-law, Dr. Eliot Hearst; and three grandchildren.
Frederick G. Allen, financial consultant, Eastchester, N.Y.,
on January 14, 2003. Allen attended school in West Haven, Vt.; N.Y.
Military Academy; and Ansonia, Conn. Allen joined the Naval ROTC
at Columbia and served two years as a lieutenant aboard the aircraft
carrier USS Ticonderoga. He earned an M.B.A from the Business School
in 1965 and later received an Information Resource Management Certificate
from Carnegie-Mellon University and Columbia. Allen became v.p.
for arbitrage for A.G. Becker Co. in New York City and was a financial
consultant and analyst for several other Wall Street firms, finally
working for CNA Insurance Co. from 1996–2002. Allen was a
licensed trainer of thoroughbred horses in New York and Maryland.
For a number of years, he owned Heather Ridge Farm in Campbell Hall,
N.Y. and raised, trained and raced thoroughbred horses at Aqueduct,
Belmont and Saratoga, N.Y., and Dover Downs, Del. He also had a
great interest in competitive rowing, racing at the Head of the
Charles, Cambridge, Mass.; Schuylkill, Philadelphia; and in Saratoga
and Canada. He was a member of the N.Y. Athletic Club and the N.Y.
Sports Club in Eastchester, N.Y. Allen also was a member of the
Christ Church Episcopal in Bronxville, N.Y. His body was given to
the N.Y. Donations Agency for organ donation and used with burn
patients of 9-11. Survivors include his brother, Roger V.; and stepmother,
Betty Allen Barnouw.
John E. Liebmann, retired naval officer, Hannacroix, N.Y.,
on January 10, 2003. Liebmann earned a master’s of marine
affairs from the University of Rhode Island in 1971 and was a career
naval officer. He retired in 1989. He is survived by his wife, Ramona;
daughters, Maria Roosevelt and Shelly; son, Tim; and two grandchildren.
Warren Lasko, retired naval officer, Chevy Chase, Md., on
February 20, 2003. Lasko was a Long Island native. He earned a master’s
in economics from GSAS in 1969 and spent the early years of his
career at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, where
he was a director in the economic analysis division and deputy director
of the office of policy development. He also served as director
of HUD’s field office in San Francisco. He was COO of the
Mortgage Bankers Association of America and an authority on real
estate finance. Lasko was executive v.p. of the MBA from 1985–98.
During his tenure, the association pursued a campaign to increase
its membership and influence. It lobbied Congress, HUD and other
agencies on affordable housing legislation, mortgage reform proposals
and tax issues. Before joining the MBA, Lasko spent three years
as executive v.p. of the Government National Mortgage Association,
also known as Ginnie Mae, and about four years as an executive of
Fannie Mae. At both, he was instrumental in developing mortgage-backed
securities programs. After his retirement from the MBA, Lasko served
as chairman of the Housing Opportunities Commission of Montgomery
County (Md.) and as an adjunct faculty member of the University
of Maryland graduate program in urban studies and planning. Lasko
interviewed applicants for the College in the metro D.C. area as
part of the Alumni Representative Committee until two years ago,
when he decided to spend more time with his grandchildren. His marriage
to Barbara Lasko ended in divorce. Survivors include his wife of
10 years, Lorraine; two daughters from his first marriage, Karen
Culton and Erika O’Neill; stepson, Jeffrey Fein; brother;
and four grandchildren.
Michael C. Weinberg, professor, Tucson, Ariz., on December
30, 2002. Weinberg had a long and distinguished career in glass
materials and was professor of materials science and engineering
at the University of Arizona. He is survived by his wife of 40 years,
Joan; daughter, Alexandra; and son, Jonathan.
Paul J. Lang, real estate developer, hotel management and resort
consultant, and educator, Paris, on February 9, 2003. Lang was born
on March 28, 1959, in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, Ill.
At 13, he moved with his family to Corrales, N.M., which had a population
of 1,000. He lived there until he moved to New York City, which
he would come to call home, to earn a degree in comparative literature
from the College. Upon graduating, Lang became a concierge at the
prestigious Carlisle Hotel, and earned a master’s in hotel
management from the Cornell School of Hotel Administration in 1987.
In 1989, after having returned to Manhattan and working for a hotel
development group, Lang formed HSA, a consulting firm that brokered
several deals involving national and international hotels and resorts,
including the Port de Plaisance resort in St. Martin. He also taught
real estate development courses at NYU. In 1990, Lang met Catherine
Levy, a Parisian living in New York, and within the year, they married.
For many years, the couple divided their time between New York City,
Paris and St. Martin. In 1998, they settled in Paris so that Lang
could, in his words, “focus on the most important thing I
have ever done” — the raising of his two daughters,
Ilana and Maya, and his son, Daniel. In addition to his wife and
children, Lang is survived by his mother, Lila; father, Bill; sister,
Carla; and brothers, David and Andrew.
Other Deaths Reported
Columbia College Today has learned of the deaths of the
following alumni (full obituaries will be published if information
1934 Chandler B. Grannis, Montclair, N.J., on October 23, 2002.
1943 Robert M. Sutton, Hope, N.J., on March 4, 2003. Sutton received a master's from the Engineering School in 1948.
1948 Thomas J. Sinatra, Neponsit, N.Y., on March 17, 2003.
1954 Ernest Simon, Montvale, N.J., on February 22, 2003. Simon received master's and doctoral degrees (1958 and 1963, respectively) in French and Romance philosophy from GSAS.
1963 Frank Kendall Brown, Boca Raton, Fla., on June 28, 2000.