arved from Istrian marble, statues of (left to right) Euripedes, Demosthenes, Sophocles and Augustus Caesar stand watch over what was once Low Library’s general reading room. The upper galleries are supported by 16 29-foot green granite columns, with space at the top of each for a statue. Only four were ever installed, however. Euripedes was gifted by architect Charles McKim, Demosthenes by W. Bayard Cutting CC 1869, Sophocles by George Wheelock CC 1864 and Augustus Caesar by F. Augustus Schermerhorn CC 1868.
Published three times a year by Columbia College for alumni, students, faculty, parents and friends.
Columbia Alumni Center
622 W. 113th St., MC 4530, 4th Fl.
New York, NY 10025