Senior Thesis Advising

Columbia College is able to provide a small research fund to Columbia College students conducting approved research for their senior theses. The average amount awarded is no greater than $250 and, if special permission is given, will not exceed $500. All funds are provided on a reimbursement basis.

Please note, the Director of Undergraduate Studies will no longer have to pre-approve the senior thesis funding applications for their department.

The new process for requesting funds is as follows:

  1. Students must complete the online Columbia College Senior Thesis Funding Application.
  2. An automatic email will be sent to the student's Faculty Adviser for their approval on the proposed senior thesis project and budget. This email will contain instructions and a link for online approval. 
  3. All applications will be reviewed by Undergraduate Research and Fellowships on a rolling basis between now and the deadline indicated on the application website.
  4. Students with approved applications will receive a notification from Undergraduate Research and Fellowships. This notification will confirm the awarded amount and contain detailed instructions on how to submit expenses for reimbursement.

Of special note:

  • All seniors approved for senior thesis funding must submit their reimbursement paperwork no later than May 1 to be eligible for payment. Paperwork submitted after May 1 will not be processed. 
  • If students' research requires international travel, their approved funds (typically higher than $250) may be factored into the amount awarded to them. This ensures that students whose research does not involve international travel are not financially penalized.
  • Student should be reminded to retain all original receipts to be submitted for reimbursement. 

  • Students should also note that delays can occur if receipts are submitted more than 120 days after the expenditure took place and the reimbursement will be taxed. It is therefore important that receipts are submitted in a timely fashion and students may submit multiple reimbursement requests.

  • There is a separate fund and application process for students in the School of General Studies. Please contact Glenn Novarr, assistant dean for Academic Affairs, for more information.

Questions may be directed to:
Ariella Lang
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Director of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
Columbia College