Columbia University invites applications from tenured faculty members who have an active interest in undergraduate liberal arts teaching and curricular development for an appointment in the 2020-2021 academic year as Visiting Professor in the Columbia College Core Curriculum (“Core Visiting Professor”). We seek to appoint two Visiting Professors, one in Literature Humanities and one in Contemporary Civilization.
Please send specific inquiries to email@example.com
Responsibilites of the Visiting Professorship
- Teach one course per semester in the Core Curriculum and possibly one departmental course in either the fall or the spring;
- Participate in weekly Core Curriculum faculty meetings;
- Meet regularly with individual faculty members who have taught in the Core and who have chaired a Core course program, as well as with administrators who support the Core Curriculum, to exchange ideas about curricular development, pedagogical choices, approaches to general education, and the role of the liberal arts;
- Develop a curricular initiative for implementation at the home institution (e.g., the creation or revision of a general education program);
- Participate in a summer conference with other former Core Visiting Professors and Columbia faculty members at a future date (at least one year after returning to the home institution) to discuss the successes and challenges of their curricular initiatives.
Applications can be submitted beginning December 2, 2019. For details about the application process and the required materials, visit Columbia University Human Resources.