Skip navigation


The Core Curriculum

Physical Education Requirement

Passing Physical Education CC1001-CC1002 is a requirement for the degree. All students are also required to pass a swimming test or take beginning swimming for one term to fulfill the swimming requirement. Students may not register for more than one section of physical education each term. Students who fulfill the attendance participation requirements for the course will pass the course. Students who are absent more than the permissible number of times will be given a UW (unofficial withdrawal), unless they file a drop form with the Department of Physical Education by the official deadline to drop a course.

No more than 4 points of physical education courses may be counted toward the degree. Barnard courses may be taken in satisfaction of this requirement; however, only students who have taken a Columbia physical education course and fulfilled the swimming requirement are eligible to register for these Barnard courses.

A student who intends to participate in an intercollegiate sport should register for the appropriate section of PHED UN1005—Intercollegiate athletics. Intercollegiate athletes who attend regularly receive 1 point of credit up to a maximum of 4. Student athletes who leave the team in mid-term but want academic credit must notify the Physical Education Office and be placed in another physical education activity to complete the attendance requirement. Student athletes are also responsible for fulfilling the swimming requirement.

Eligibility for Intercollegiate Athletics

Any student in the College who is pursuing the undergraduate program or a combined program toward a first degree is eligible for intercollegiate athletics. To be eligible for athletic activities, the student must make appropriate progress toward the degree as defined by the NCAA, the Ivy League, and Columbia University. These criteria are monitored by the Committee on Athletic Eligibility and certified by the Office of the Registrar.

Questions about athletic eligibility should be referred to the appropriate academic adviser or the compliance office in the Department of Physical Education and Intercollegiate Athletics.

On-Line Resources