The joint Columbia College-General Studies Committee on Instruction must approve any course which
- Is new; or
- Has been changed in content, title, course level, course type, or requirements; or
- Has not been taught for five or more years.
Complete course approval requests for Columbia College and the School of General Studies must contain the following:
- Course approval form, completed by both the course instructor, the relevant faculty representative of the department (DUS/DGS), and the DAAF;
- Course syllabus;
- Curriculum Vitae of the instructor only if the course is taught by an adjunct instructor or a visiting faculty member;
- When the proposed instructor for a course does not hold a Ph.D. or other terminal degree in the field of instruction, a department statement should be submitted providing a rationale for his/her selection to teach the course.
Course approval requests should be submitted electronically to the joint CC-GS COI at firstname.lastname@example.org. Specific dates for submission will be communicated each semester, but generally the following timeline applies:
- Fall courses - 15 March submission (or first business day thereafter)
- Spring courses - 15 October submission (or first business day thereafter)
- Summer courses - 21 November submission (or first business day thereafter)
These deadlines are to ensure that courses may be reviewed and entered into the Directory of Classes/Vergil in time for the early registration periods each semester. Departments are very much encouraged to submit courses for review prior to these deadlines.
The CC-GS COI is jointly staffed by Lisa Hollibaugh, Dean of Academic Planning and Administration for Columbia College, and Victoria Rosner, Dean of Academic Affairs for the School of General Studies. Both can be contacted by emailing email@example.com.